The installation of a tiled roof costs on average between aud 55 to aud 65 per square meter, rates can vary from aud 19 to aud 80 per square meter. The tiles are generally made of terracotta or concrete and can even be shaped so as to give an imitation wood look. Terracotta tiles are very often used for terracotta roofs because of the durability of their color over time. Conversely, the other types of terracotta tiles turn black while the concrete will tend to fade. Terracotta retains its original color because it is cooked directly in clay. Many terracotta remains have retained their original color.
The surface area of a roof depends on the width of the roof as well as the length of its slope, the latter being a function of the height of the roof from base to edge and the width of the roof. With the exception of flat roofs, the total surface area of the roof will therefore be greater than the floor area occupied by the dwelling. In France the surface area of the roof of a medium-sized dwelling is around 200 m².
Price for the installation of a tiled roof
Although it is possible to install a roof yourself, it is a restrictive, delicate project requiring skill and know-how in addition to specific tools and equipment and above all , a lot of time. Unless you are a seasoned roofer assisted by a team of professionals, it is highly recommended that you hire the services of a contractor.
- Roof removal. Removing your old roof will cost you between € 20 to € 25 per square meter . It is possible that an over-roof could have been laid on an old roof. It is then necessary to deposit two or even three layers. The prices are then slightly higher: € 22 to € 27 for two thicknesses and € 25 to € 31 for three thicknesses.
- Roofing screen. It is necessary to install or replace the roofing screen both to protect the frame supporting the tiles and for soundproofing and thermal insulation purposes. The law relating to the energy transition for the green growing (LTECV) stipulates in article 14, an obligation to implement a thermal insulation at the time of important works of renovation of buildings. Applicable from January 1, 2017 to residential buildings as well as in the case of fitting out a new room in order to make it habitable, this obligation applies in the case of roof repair work or during the installation of an over-roof on at least 50% of the roof. There are three types of screens: synthetic, bituminous or reflective. The price range is very wide, from 0,
- Roof supports. If you plan to replace asphalt shingles with tiles, the weight supported by joists and beams can easily triple. To get an idea of the order of magnitude, an asphalt shingle roof weighs around 18 kg / m² while a tiled roof can weigh between 38 kg / m² (interlocking tiles) and 65 kg / m² (tiles flat) depending on the model. Reinforcing the structure of your roof can cost you from a few thousand euros to 20,000 € depending on the configuration of your home and the condition of your frame. A professional will be able to justify you in detail the amount of work to be undertaken.
- Delivery – Delivery costs vary depending on the company, the quantity of materials and the distance to be traveled. Check with the company before placing your order.
- Tiles – As we saw earlier, the superior quality of the tiles compared to asphalt shingles affects the price.
- Mortar – You can use lime mortar or bastard mortar (cement mortar is to be avoided because it leads to excessive rigidity). The mortar is to be used in a thick joint 1 to 2 cm thick, allow 5 kg per linear meter of ridge, € 6 to € 12 for a 25 kg bag . Note however that it is not imperative to seal your tiles. Mortar can also extend the life of a cracked tile by about a year, giving you the flexibility to change it whenever you want.
A full quote should include the following estimates:
- Site installation and labor
- Purchase and delivery of materials
- Removal of the roof if necessary
- Installation of the new roof
- Disposal of used materials
Take the time to discuss the details with the contractor to ensure that the work is included or not in the quote. Keep in mind that even after a thorough inspection of the interior and exterior condition of your roof by a roofer, it is still possible that certain complications arise after the removal of the old roof because a possible attack of the frame by the mold and insects is not always visible before this step. Most knowledgeable experts recommend planning a backup budget of 25% of the cost of the work in order to be able to cope with the unexpected.
Considerations when replacing a tiled roof
It is essential to study in detail the ins and outs of such a project before you start replacing your roof. You must first of all ensure the feasibility of the work. In addition to the total weight that can be supported by the existing structure, you must also take into account the design of your roof, the difficulties of the site, the costs of the roofer and if you want to install new tiles on an already existing roof.
Filing a prior declaration of work on a roof is compulsory even if it is only general repair or repair work. Any change in the exterior appearance of the roof is subject to a declaration of work. Before starting the work, you will have to submit a declaration of work file to the town hall and wait for a favorable response.
Certain situations also require obtaining a building permit such as a change in the type of roofing (replacement of slates with tiles for example), the installation of roof windows, the installation of a chimney or solar panels, the restoration of a roof with materials different from those of origin (modification of the color or the shape of the tiles for example).
If your home is located within the perimeter of a remarkable heritage site, you will have to file a request for a work authorization which will be examined by the architect of Bâtiments de France.
Tax assistance and credits
Covering a home is one of the most important points in terms of energy loss. Consequently, roofing works can be the subject of various financial aids and subsidies in the form of bonuses, tax credits, reduced-rate VAT or subsidized loans. You will find more information in our special article: https://www.amazingroofrestoration.com.au/blog/
If the slope of your roof is less than 18 degrees , it is not recommended to opt for a tiled roof for reasons of weight distribution and drainage. When installing a tiled roof, it is often necessary to remove existing skylights and solar panels. Most solar panels contain an antifreeze solution, they must be removed by professionals. Gable roofs, multi-level as well as sloping roofs can also increase the amount of the quotes.
Relocation of the roofer
Living in peace in the countryside has many advantages, but also some disadvantages. Although some companies provide free delivery of materials within a given radius, deliveries over longer distances can increase the budget by a few hundred euros . The roofer may also apply additional costs for the movement of his team. Make it clear to the roofer that you live in a remote area if this is the case. Travel costs may be invoiced at a flat rate or according to a mileage scale around 0.5 € / km .
The invoicing takes into account the surface area of the roof. Make sure that the measurements are correct and correspond to the actual surface of your roof (taking into account the slope of your roof).
Over-coverage of an existing roof
If you opt for a more economical option by covering your asphalt shingles with tiles, you will effectively save a few hundred euros in removing and disposing of used materials. However, the longevity of your roof will be greatly affected. Installing an over-roof can reduce the longevity of your roof by almost 25% and you lose the advantage of having installed a durable tiled roof.
A tiled roof requires regular maintenance. To optimize its longevity and take full advantage of it, a certain number of parameters must be taken into account:
- Periodic inspection – Once or twice a year or after a storm, take the time to inspect your roof for possible damaged tiles. Replace any chipped, cracked or broken tiles as soon as possible.
- Washing – By washing your roof annually, you will prevent the accumulation of dirt and debris that can retain water. Do realize never cleaning your pressure roof because you could just move the tiles and reduce the life of your roof. Pressurized water is also likely to infiltrate between the tiles, reach the underlayment and penetrate the attic. We recommend using a broom with a suitable cleaning product.
- Defoaming – Unlike wood or asphalt, the development of foam does not damage the tiles. The problem is rather that the foam disrupts the flow of water. When the foam is dry, take a trowel (plastic if you are afraid to mark or scratch the tiles), it will peel off easily without much effort. If your roof is facing a recurring foam problem, you can consider using an anti-foam treatment. Some even have preventive agents preventing foam regrowth for up to three years.
- Moving around on the roof – To carry out maintenance on your roof, you may have to move around on your roof. However, the tiles can break under the weight of a man. Using a board covered with rubber foam will distribute your weight evenly while preventing the board from slipping. If you don’t have such an item, be sure to spread your legs while maintaining good balance.
Why choose a tiled roof?
Tiled roofs are made of elements of terracotta, concrete or other resistant materials. Unlike asphalt shingles, they are more rigid and heavy. A strong wind will be able to tear off asphalt shingles while a solidly fixed tiled roof will be able to withstand winds of up to 200 km / h.
Advantages and benefits of a tiled roof
The main advantage of a tiled roof is its fire resistance . However, do not expect to save on your home insurance by installing a tiled roof. Although the tiles are very fire resistant and are therefore relatively popular in fire sensitive areas, they are very rigid and can break if someone is forced to move on the roof for one reason or another.
The tiles are very durable over time . Concrete tiles have a lifespan of more than 50 years while that of terracotta tiles is around 25 to 30 years (without taking storms and other hazards into account).
Although the tiles are relatively heavy, they can easily be replaced if necessary. Indeed, you just have to lift the covering tile, remove the damaged tile as well as its fixing and reposition new materials.
Comparison of tiled roofs compared to other types of roofs
It is quite natural to ask questions about the interest of installing a tiled roof. It is a substantial investment, so owners need to know what kind of project they are getting into. Here are answers to the most common questions:
Are the prices competitive compared to other types of roofs?
A tiled roof is a bearable investment which, although more committed than in the case of an asphalt shingle roof, remains more economical than a slate, wood or metal roof. We are far from running out of terracotta and concrete while wood resources have become precious. Terracotta is quite affordable because it is easily extracted from the earth, while metal remains a more luxurious material.
What is the lifespan of a tiled roof?
The appearance of tiled roofs dates back to the Neolithic (4000 to 12000 years). Some buildings from ancient Greece and Rome still have an original roof in a perfectly decent condition. Although we cannot guarantee that your roof will last a millennium, a regularly maintained roof can quite last as long as the walls of your house.
Does the roof necessarily have to be red?
Your municipality can impose an obligation of color. If no shade restriction exists, you can choose from a large number of shapes and colors (red, blue green, white or even purple!). The choice of the color of your tiles can be done for aesthetic reasons as well as for thermal insulation. Keep in mind that the color of the terracotta lasts over time as the color of the concrete passes and the terracotta darkens. The installation of a replacement tile will then be likely to denote compared to older tiles.
If you want to change the color of your roof, you must file a declaration of work which must be validated by the town hall. If you live near a listed monument, the architect of Bâtiments de France will impose a shade on you, whether it be a renovation or a roof construction.
Can this project be done yourself?
In theory yes, but unless you are a qualified roofer, it is more than advisable to rely on the expertise of experienced professionals if you want to avoid unpleasant surprises. The occasional replacement of a damaged tile does not present any major difficulty. The installation of adequate supports, a roofing screen, the alignment and securing of the tiles cannot be improvised and require the use of specific tools. It is a delicate and time-consuming project where the slightest error can have very serious and extremely costly consequences. If you launch yourself into such a project and you are mistaken, the final grade may be up to twice as high.
What is the advantage in terms of insulation?
A tiled roof is a guarantee of good insulation. The spaces between the tiles and the roof ensure good air circulation. Terracotta and concrete are heat reflective. If you live in a relatively cold area, this also limits the formation of ice patches.
Why not settle for asphalt shingles? They are more economical after all.
- Aspect. Asphalt shingles come in a wide variety of colors, but they are still bituminous shingles. As for the tiles, they come in various shapes and colors and allow you to bring the ideal touch to give a warm and comfortable appearance to your home.
- Durability. Asphalt shingles should be replaced every 20 to 30 years at best. In comparison, the tiles have a durability of at least 50 years in the most extreme conditions. Tiles are by far a much better option.
- Respect the environment. The tiles are made of natural materials, so they are respectful of the environment and have been survived today lost civilizations. Concrete appeared in ancient Rome and many buildings constructed with this material still exist today. The debris from these two materials is fully recyclable and their insulating power makes it possible to limit the heat loss from your home as well as to isolate it from outside heat.
- A correctly laid tiled roof allows heat to be returned in summer and conserved in winter. This can reduce your energy bill (which normally represents half of your living expenses) by almost 30%. With a tiled roof, you will adopt a more eco-responsible lifestyle and your bank account will thank you!
- Capital gain. The installation of a new roof brings straightforward added value to your home which will be sold all the more easily as the new buyer will have no expense to incur on this kind of work. It is an element of weight for the resale of a property!
In any case, do not hesitate to compare the quotes of different roofers. Make sure that all the elements are taken into account in the quote and what the additional expenses could be. Check the contractor’s references and ask to see photos of his previous projects. Do not hesitate to ask him any questions!
The installation of a tiled roof can be a significant investment on your part. If you want to enjoy a roof that lasts over time, reduce your heating and air conditioning bills, beautify your home by giving it an elegant and comfortable style while customizing it according to your desires, go ahead and choose a roof in tiles!