Discover the price of installing an automatic garage door according to the type: manual or automatic
Installing an automatic garage door is a decision that can be made for various reasons. You may be building a new garage and need one, or perhaps the passage of time has deteriorated the one you already have. In any case, it is not an object that is acquired every day. For this reason, in these situations it is common to ask how much it costs to install an automatic garage door.
How to choose the best automatic garage door
Indeed, the installation of an automatic garage door is not counted among the usual expenses of any person. Moreover, it is always a long-term investment. Therefore, before talking about prices, it is convenient that you discover how to choose the best one.
Types of automatic garage doors
Today there are different types of automatic garage doors. Due to this variety, it is advisable that you know them all or, at least, the most common before making a final decision on the door you want to install. In this article we will talk about the five most common types of automatic garage door .
Tilting automatic garage doors
This type of door is one of the most popular nationwide. It is usually made up of one or two panels that rise thanks to arms offset by steel springs or weights. When the door is opened, the panel sheet is parallel to the ceiling.
The most normal thing is that the material in which the overhead doors are manufactured is stainless steel. However, you can also find them in aluminum and wood.
Within the category of tilting automatic garage doors two sub types are distinguished :
- On the one hand, we have overflowing automatic garage doors , which need to leave a certain space outside so that the door can be opened without tripping over anything.
- And on the other hand, you can opt for a non-overflowing automatic garage door. In this case the door does not invade the outside when it opens, but it needs more space inside.
Sectional automatic garage doors
It is another type of very common door. In fact, sectional automatic garage doors, along with the overhead doors, are the kind of doors most placed in garages.
As the name implies, this type of automatic garage door consists of individual sections that rise vertically towards the roof of the garage. Thanks to this they occupy almost no space.
Mainly, three advantages are attributed to them :
- They allow you to have more space in front and inside the garage.
- It is a system characterized by its robustness, since each panel has its own connection to the door rail, which increases its reliability.
- Finally, they are famous for their great insulating capacity , both thermal and acoustic.
Rolling automatic garage doors
It is true that these types of automatic garage doors are widely used in stores and shops, but they are perfectly valid for garages .
Its operation is very simple. To give you an idea, it is similar to that of a blind: the door is rolled up on a rotating axis until it is completely collected. They are perfect if your intention is to make the most of the garage space.
As for its features, its easy handling, its compact style and the simplicity of its mechanism stand out .
Sliding automatic garage doors
The only requirement to install this type of automatic garage door is to have enough space in the wall, because they move laterally . The advantage is that they can adapt to almost any shape of the wall.
For this type of door we can also distinguish two varieties:
- To begin with, the lateral sectional doors generate the movement laterally towards the interior of the wall.
- On the other hand, you can decide on a traditional side sliding door , consisting of one or two leaves that move through a guide. They can be placed inside or outside the wall.
Folding automatic garage doors
It is another of the systems that is most used. They work so that the leaves that make up the door (one or two) pivot on a vertical axis.
Tips for choosing the best automatic garage door
Before talking about prices, and now that you know the different types of door, we want to offer you a series of recommendations so you can choose the perfect automatic garage door for your garage:
- Decide what your budget is : As you can find out later, in the automatic garage door sector prices vary a lot because they usually depend on the measures of the door and the automatism you decide to install. Our recommendation is that you do not look for the cheapest door, but try to get a good value for money.
- Bet on quality : This point is related to the previous one; It is always preferable to have professionals who assure you the best quality and maintenance of the facilities. Look for robust and durable automatic garage doors.
- Make sure that it complies with the regulations : It is important that your automatic garage door complies with the safety regulations that are applicable in your specific case.
- Measure the available space : You have already seen that some doors need more space than others to open. In this sense, you should consider the space you have available before making a decision.
- Keep in mind the decoration : Depending on the decorative style of the building in which the door is going to be installed, you can choose one model or another to avoid as far as possible break the harmony of the whole.
How much does it cost to install an automatic garage door?
As we have already told you, the price of an automatic garage door will depend on several factors, such as measures and automatism.
Logically, the larger the automatic garage door, the higher its price. Normally, the strip of measures of the width of the door covers of the 2,000 mm to the 5,000 mm, whereas the one of the height includes from the 2,000 mm to the 3,000 mm.
On the other hand, it is not the same to install a manual door than an automatic door. And the price of installing a sliding door can vary slightly compared to the cost of installing a swing, roller, sectional or tilting door.
How much does it cost to install a manual garage door?
You already know that the measures occupied by the door usually affect the price. When we talk about manual doors you don’t have to worry about automatism since, as its name implies, everything works manually. However there are other details that must also be taken into account because they can increase the price:
- Materials : A completely insulating door is not the same as a more basic door. In addition, there are more expensive materials than others. For example, placing a solid wood door will not have the same price as installing a metal, aluminum or PVC door.
- Labor : Obviously, if you hire a professional to carry out the work of installing the door, it is a cost that you will have to bear. It is true that you can try to install it on your own, but it is not recommended if you have no experience in the field, as it can be expensive in the long run.
How much does it cost to install an automatic garage door?
As you know, in the case of automatic doors the cost does not depend only on the materials or the measurements , but the automatism (especially the engine) will substantially affect the final price. It is also possible that certain accessories, such as the remote control, are charged separately.
How much does it cost to automatic garage door?
We have proposed prices for installation of automatic garage doors, both manual and automatic. However, what many people choose to do is automate the manual door they already have installed.
It is a third possibility if you are interested in saving the price of the door. Therefore, if your automatic garage door is in good condition and you only want to make it something more practical, you can choose to automate it.
It is true that you can do without labor and try to install without help. However, this is not highly recommended.
The installation process can be quite complex and, to ensure the proper functioning and durability of the automatic garage door, it must be carried out as accurately as possible. For this reason it is advisable to put yourself in the hands of experienced professionals in this sector.